Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:51:58 -0600
From:         Paul Chubbuck <paul@TAKINGFLIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Vapor lock?  Static electricity?  Help!

Mine is a 1982 Vanagon, originally diesel with a conversion to a rabbit engine from about 1985.

Do these symptoms ring a familiar bell to someone knowledgeable on this list?

Last Wednesday I took off at 3 PM intending to drive about 500 miles. It was about 100 degrees out. After a short time, I noticed a frequent, partial loss of power, much as if I had suddenly backed my foot partway off the accelerator. When I had to stop, the engine died unless I kept the engine RPM's up. Both problems became worse, so I limped my way back 35 miles to my mechanic right at quitting time. I also noticed that when stopped and holding the engine above normal idle (to avoid stalling) that I could hear the fuel pump cycling every few seconds between high and low rpm. When it reached the low end of the cycle, the engine would almost stall, and then pick up again as the fuel pump took off.

I suspected a bad fuel pump but my mechanic wasn't convinced it was so simple and I'm not a mechanic. The next day was cooler and he has so far not been able to repeat the problem.

A VW mechanic friend told me about a static electricity problem with this engine series that might cause such symptoms and could be corrected with some kind of an adaptor. I found a reference to this problem in the archives, although not much detail. My friend also thought that the high temperatures could be causing vapor lock. If it's that, I don't know how to confirm or resolve it.

I should say that I first noticed this unsteady power problem more than a month ago, but then it was infrequent and subtle, so I let it go. But last Wednesday it wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it home, never mind my intended trip across the hot plains of Eastern Colorado and Kansas.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Paul in Fort Collins