Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:28:00 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upon seeing bostig's handiwork

Hi Guys,

Here are some answers:

The ground clearance change with the short pan setup is at it's lowest (the bottom of the V-shape of the cradle) the same as stock. Toward the sides, the ground clearance is higher than stock as a result of the V shape. No loss in the middle, gains as you move to the outside, and gains from not having the big cat/muffler in the way back. So this means in absolute terms, same not better, not worse, in net terms better. Also keep in mind though, we've seen variation up to almost an inch based on the condition of the rear springs. If you're sagging you're already below stock WITH a stock setup. I've been thinking about ways to provide a better and more accurate way to measure/show ground clearance, and we started a grid measuring system on the first ej22->zetec conversion we did to compare ground clearance "maps" from the ej22 to the zetec since it is the same vehicle and nothing else changed. However I was never able to map the point clouds in a useful way to be able to overlay them to get a rotatable/spinable 3D representation and full comparison of the actual ground clearance. I got part of the way, but I'm not proficient enough in the software to do it, and couldn't spend any more time. If anyone knows how to turn a 3D point cloud into a useful map such as this please let me know and we can finish it.

Anyhow, to provide a new possibility to part of the syncro crowd that really likes to romp on their rigs off-road, we're developing another cradle setup for the conversion as well. It will locate much further back, is beefier, single bar chromoly, and can have rock bars that attach and tie in to upgraded driveshaft protectors that are optional. This will be the foundation of a complete underbody cladding system. I think the new cradle will look much better in terms of not drawing the eye so much, so people won't be so worried about it. I didn't realize initially what a problem for some people the appearance alone would be. Having the new cradle as a bolt on option/upgrade along with a simple dry sump setup will be the ultimate combination, you can have 12 Qt capacity and better than stock ground clearance(net and absolute) with beefier skid protection all in one package. That way when Brady rolls again, you can keep the engine running for a few minutes sideways or upside down to use a PTO winch ha.

On the short pan, the system loses just about a quart, which makes the capacity 3.5Qt... this means for one that you really should stay on top of your oil change schedule and not slack and allow it to run for twice the normal interval like so many people(including me) are likely to do. But other than that, there aren't really additional considerations you have to worry about. There are no baffles, the pump will not cavitate until you're rolling your van(Brady "tested" this). Adding the coolant flow type oil cooler sandwich from Modine/Ford ($86) is a good idea for harsh climates though, it helps bring the oil up to temp faster and maintain it at a lower temp.

True. You have to check the dipstick by lifting the decklid. Actually way back in 04 when developing the conversion for brady's van we had it as a goal to be able to check both the coolant level and oil level from the plate hatch just like stock... BUT once we got it in, and started using it, we decided that we didn't need one and that you simply don't need to check it as often just like other modern cars. The oil won't go anywhere in a hurry, and you have a flashy warning light if it does, and likewise for the coolant. Several customers had also requested that we offer a way to check via the hatch, but ONLY before they actually had the conversion installed... once it was installed, they checked a few times, got bored and realized they didn't really need it anymore either and canceled the requests.

Thanks for the interest and the questions,

Jim Akiba