Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:12:20 -0700
From:         Syncronicity1 <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Haynes manual (Re: Noobie Owner of 84 Westy Seeks Advice)

And this one (Vanagon Pro Training) is quite useful especially for new people, since it gives overviews of the major systems.

http://www.loam.org/vw/Vanagon/VanagonProTraining/86Vanagon/

Roland

as a jack ass of all trades with a learn it by doing it mechanical experience, i use three "manuals"-- haynes, bentley and ben place! let us not forget the great information on "how-to" that is available on line when bentley is over your head or haynes incomplete. heck, there is more intelligence out there on our vans than bush had for iraq!

peace

don p 84 westy carolina, ri

Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: FIIW I concur. Having both is more of a 'full set of info' ( and still lacking really ! ) But Bentley doesn't really tell you HOW to do a lot. Sometimes, but it's really for techs that already know basics thoroughly and just need detail testing information, etc. The pictures are pretty useful.

Haynes attempts to be a 'back yard here's how you proceed' manual. Like a step by step thing. I think they are pretty funky sometimes, And the Haynes Vanagon I have is for British vanagons , shows carbs and things that we don't have....I don't think it has US model fuel injection stuff in it ....

( and Hayes are less British than they were....but sometimes....they'll say 'remove the valence' ...I'm like 'what ????' ...or clean your parts in paraffin. Say what ???? )

But the two books combined.... Is a LOT better than either one alone. In any case, you MUST have the Bentley if you hope to fix your vanagon at all, except for the most minor and logical things....there are a million details hidden in that book - I've always thought it was a little funny to navigate... But after you have that one, the Haynes is a good addition, and not very expensive either, as john mentioned. Scott www.turbovans.com