Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:22:15 -0700
From:         "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\" Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Elec.Gurus! DC ground question (fridge fans off shore power)

Loren is right that in order to make sure that every bit of current that you put into a device gets back to the source without interference from other sources+devices you not only provide individual feeds to those devices, but individual returns, too. However, for the small currents you're talking about, the chassis of the vehicle is a very low impedance path and so if your wall wart supply happens to share its return with some other devices, there won't be any problem.

Unless I was going up into the 10s, maybe 100s, of amps I would use the chassis as the return conductor. The test to see if you're losing anything by doing so is to measure the DC voltage between the - side of the wall wart power supply and the - input of the device (fans) while the fans are running. If the return conductor (chassis) has zero ohms, you will read zero volts lost in the chassis. If you see more than zero volts then check your connections because those fans probably don't draw more than a 1/10th of an amp and if you happen to be reading, say, 1 volt between the fan - and the wall wart -, then that is Resistance = Volts/Current = 1/0.1 = 10 ohms, which says you have some pretty crummy connection someplace.

Besides -- fans are hardly sensitive electrical devices. Bang the wallwart - to the chassis and the fan - to the chassis and be done with it. Fuse the + line if you want to, but wallwarts are usually fused internally, I think.

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR