Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:32:51 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How Hot is To Hott?
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

That sounds hotter than normal. The slick thing to do is measure the true temp of the coolant coming out of the engine ( sure wish people would say what year and model they have - I gather this is a watercooled gasoline vanagon ) ........with an infra red temp gun. That way in one second you know what the 'real' temp is.

The lazy test for radiator fan is just let it idle until they come on, then cycle off. The next test ( assuming you have an 83 and above water cooled gas vanagon - the 82 diesel, the very first every water cooled vanagon, has a different system slightly on the fan senders) - is to pull the wires off the sender and jumper two contacts for low speed, And the 'other two' for high speed fan operation. If the fan runs, tells you the whole circuit runs.....just doesn't test the fan sender is all.... They can be faulty, but I've seldom seen one.

Just two more things - 1. I recommend you adopt a 'test and diagnose' mentality , and not the 'throw parts at it ' one. 2. So far I can usually guess what vanagon people are talking about , and it would sure help people help YOU figure out more about YOUR problem if you would say the year, version, model, equipment etc. It matters. Scott www.turbovans.com