Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:38:11 EDT
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Decisions,
              decisions which conversion-didn't intend to start a power war
Comments: To: syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM

Hey guys the purpose of my post was not just a comparison of power between the Subaru 2.5 and the Bostig Zetech but more a comparison of all of the features for the money invested. Also important to me would be the ease of installation. I work in the service department of a Honda dealership and would have access to a variety of tools lifts etc. I am certainly impressed by the power that the subaru 2.5 has overt the Zetech (35 hp difference right) but would also have to factor in a very useful upgrade to the 3rd and 4th gears that would benefit the Subaru conversion (Daryl at AA transmission would be great for this). Factoring in the cost of this (shipping and opening up the case to swap out 2 gears) might reduce the difference in price between the two by another $500.00-750.00 maybe? Maybe the only useful feature that both engines could provide that is comparable would be OBD II capabilities. Both have relatively easy maintenance (timing belt replacement in particular) and I don't know if I have heard whether or not the Subi 2.5 is a noninterference engine like the zetech or not. I would change the timing belt about every 90-100k if it were an interference engine to avoid valve damage if the belt did break to be safe (BTDT with my Honda customers that like to play the odds!-expensive). The other features that the zetech has are niceties that would give peace of mind and would avoid a total breakdown but are they worth the extra bucks? The supercharger is intriguing but is it worth the extra $3,000 which would bring the uninstalled price to $13,000+ dollars? It seems that you could go with the 6 cylinder 3.3 Subaru that has slightly more power for maybe half of what you would spend on the Zetech but would still want to upgrade the tranny and maybe also the axles as well. I would need to go to the Vanaru site for more info here. Don't get me wrong; I love the idea of power for my Westy and will start a conversion fund now (mayo jar next to my mgb 8cyl. conversion mayo jar!). I just want the best combination of not only power but reliability and other features in an engine that are important to me like cost of repair and availability of parts. I have almost 250k much appreciated miles on my 90 Westfalia now as it's a daily driver and would love nothing more than to get that much again. Why not if you love the package and have replaced/rebuilt everything else on the van. It's still cheaper than a new car payment/depreciation and is just much more fun than anything else to drive and camp in. Sorry for the lengthy post but lets all keep it friendly and enjoy comparing notes and thoughts.

David Clarkson Loyal fan of the Westfalia/Vanagon

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour