Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:04:21 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Michelin Agilis tires

I just got back from picking up my new Michelin Agilis tires at my friend's garage. I had ordered them from TireRack on-line, shipped directly to his shop. I've bought tires this way many times from them in the past. When I was searching for replacements to match my 2 existing Michelin Agilis 61's, I could only find Agilis 81's. When I was checking out on the TireRack website, a pop-up said that these tires where rated at a higher rating (load D) than is required for my vehicle (load C), and may ride stiffer and handle differently. I couldn't find any other alternatives, so I figured, what the heck, I'll buy them anyway and put the stronger ones in the rear. Well, to make a long story even longer, I went to pick them up all mounted and balanced, ready to install on the rear of my '87 Westy. My friend, Russ Shine (who's a VW/ Porsche mechanic extraordinaire and all-around great guy!) has a nice repair shop near me, and he did the work for a deal. I was surprised to see that the tire sidewall says "185R14C", especially when the TireRack website, and sticker labelling clearly says "D"! What the heck? I'm all set now, but I did find this to be worth mentioning to you fellow Vanagon tire buyers.......BTW, I do intend to contact TireRack about this error.

Happy Vanagoning to all,

Mike B.