Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:08:22 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some Comments on GPS Systems and Audio Electronics- camping
              apps
Comments: To: camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 7/27/07 7:39:22 AM, camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM writes:

> Great writeup, Frank. > > Re the GPS, how is the coverage of backwoods campgrounds and dirt roads? > > For example, if you do a search in California, can it find Highland > Lakes campground in the Sierra Nevada? How about searching for NFS > roads, like Forest Route 22S53 near the Kern River in California? (N 36 > degrees 0.340 minutes, W 118 degrees 30.213 minutes) > > -- > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > Mike,

The answer is - as delivered - no! But there are some possibilities depending on computer literacy. First off, the unit is truly designed to be portable. For example, the rate algorithms can be selected for fast car, standard car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle and pedestrian. So it takes into account your method of transportation. Many forest and tertiary roads are drawn in the database, but not labeled or linked for searching. Might get better with map upgrade release in early fall.

Most importantly though, you can add POI and map detail to your unit with the combo of the SD card (carries map info), the included software, your PC/MAC Dual Core and an add-on program called POI-Warner. This program goes for about 30 Euros, easily downloaded, and gives access to large libraries of POIs and map mods. On GPS Passion .com it is rumored that topo data files can be added giving higher resolution maps, ability to label trails and so forth. I've asked the kid (now works for Apple engineering the iphone) to look into the cross-over file format. Finally, according to the following , this has already been done: -------------- elori

Posted - 03/23/2007 : 20:46:59 Show Profile Reply with Quote Just got a US version, updated ne new OS. Works fine. But I had problems upload contacts from my phone via Bluetooth. So...

Using activesync. Explore to \My Flash Disk\PIM Replace contacts.pcd with your own file.

There is one easy way to get this. Borry from Mio. MioContact.EXE, just google for a download. Install and run. Select the contacts from Outlook or OE, select create and copy the file over to your device.

I did notice that it may take a while to load up a large number of contacts so choose just a few <100.

I also found a couple files to make the unit more customizable from the PC.

\My Flash Disk\Navigation\favorites.txt : contains your GPS address book

\My Flash Disk\Navigation\perfs.ini contains most of your customizable settings.

And there are many more config files to let you customize to your hearts content. Still searching and playing. If I find anything cool, I'll post. ---------- Note, the above quote was lifted from GPSPassion.com. Interesting reading particularly if you are fluent in French!

Frank Grunthaner

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour