Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:02:30 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help in northern Ontario...

The flat machined area of the spindle arm where the tie rod bolts on is very elongated. Then the hole is drilled in that area in one of two locations, depending on manual or power steering.

The improvements you mentioned for 85 are not true of early 85 models. All were phased in during production at different points, except for the newer sliding door which was used for the full year. The outer front wheel bearing changed during the 84 model year, on chassis number 023,828 of that year. I think the bearing inner diameter was enlarged to allow for a larger diameter spindle so there may have been some strength issue with the earlier spindles. Perhaps PS entered into that since PS was offered beginning with some 84 models, afaik.

Mark