Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2007 19:54:01 -0400
From:         John Reddick <svyolo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power output of actual vans? (long)

I have always thought the front fiberglass portion of the Westy was responsible for a lot of drag/wind noise. Passenger vans are far quiter, and get 2 mpg better mileage on the highway. I finally got around to finishing my modified front section. I saw a genuine European Westy with one. It must have been available at some point there. I also saw some wind tunnel results for Vanagons. .44 for the stock van, .50 for the Westy, with the front really throwing up turbulent air all the way from the front. I drove about 1000 miles to the High Country Bus campout. Unfortunately, due to some really bad traffic jams, I don't have any good numbers for MPG improvements. I was hoping for 8% at 65 mph, with better results at higher speeds. It is definitely getting better mileage, but I can't verify how much. I can't verify the noise either, as it was 90+ degrees and I was driving with the windows down. Hopefully the drive home will allow for better results with less traffic/wind effects. The worse mileage I got was 25.8 MPG, which includes almost 2 hours in a jam in Raleigh due to an accident. Other than that, there was minimal wind. that was on a 311 mile run from souther NC. I kept the speed at 65-70 the rest of the time. Ir really like the idea of closing off the bottom of the van. Cheap and easy, and might also reduce road noise.

John 87 Westy 2wd MT .70 4th 2002 EJ25 Subaru