Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:21:59 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: The automatic tranny on vanagons

Even with 4-speed manual tranny vanagons (2WD) will be difficult to drive on very bumpy roads, especially going uphill. When going uphill on bumpy road you have to drive very slowly (unless you enjoy rock & roll). But then the engine just does not have enough torque at low RPM. The van won't move and the engine will stall. But if you step on the pedal to increase torque the van would want to go too fast. Kids riding in the vanagon could be tossed off the seats.

The solution to me was to use the clutch to battle with the problem. I would drive slowly. And I would step on the clutch before the engine stalls. I rev up the engine then engage the clutch to move on. Very stressful to the clutch. But there wasn't anything else I could do.

That's my experience in my trip to a Stanislaus National Forest in the Sierra Mountains. It was a forest road to access Lake Eleanore in Yosemite National Park. My vanagon has plenty of ground clearance. And it is a 2WD vanagon. The cars able to get there were all 4WD trucks and SUVs. The drivers of all those were kind of shocked when my vanagon showed up there. My passat also made it once. But it suffered a dent at the bottom of the tranny oil pan. I won't do it again with my Passat.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games. http://sims.yahoo.com/