Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:08:59 -0600
From:         David Johnson <davidj@ELPASOTEL.NET>
Subject:      I surrender.  '80 Westy needs new home

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, I resign. Family and time considerations have forced me to make the decision I am not going to be able to bring my 1980 Westy back to life, and so I am beginning to put feelers out for a new home for the poor thing.

The status of the vehicle :

Suffered an engine fire in November of last year. Has the 2.0L air cooled engine in it, but it was rebuilt shortly before I got it. Prior to the fire, the vehicle was running well, had just put a new head on it shortly after purchase, and it ran strong and comfortable. I have 95% of the parts you would need to put this thing back together. Might need a few extra hoses and such, but everything else is there. Also there are lots of extra parts - I have a back up wiring harness, back up intake manifolds, backup air flow control stuff, etc. Have 3 ECUs for it, actually. In short, there is no reason someone who does not have the time and family/ medical constraints I have should not be able to put it back together.

There are a few other non-engine fire issues that will need tending to : one inner CV joint has a small tear and will need to be replaced. The passenger side rack and pinion boot is also shredded, and will need replaced. The parking brake handle won't stay set, but I have a replacement handle for it.

Camping gear wise - stove works great. Sink works great. Tank was flushed and bleached right after I bought it, and holds water fine. New external hookups (all 3). New hose from the external water fill to the tank. Fridge works very well on DC and AC - I have never gotten it to light on propane, but then I never actually got around to cleaning out the combustion chamber either. May be that is all it needs. Swivel seats in front are fine, haven't really looked at the upholstery as they are covered in pretty comfy seat covers. Rear bench seat is there, working, has some moderate wear on the front edge of the seat - fabric is worn enough to be unravelling on the right side. For a perfect van, should be redone. For a campter, may not be a big deal. Could be patched, too. Has brand new seals on pop-top and luggage rack. Has a brand new non-stock skylight/vent (hole was already cut when I got it - just replaced the old, cracked one with a new one). Rear closet door is off, but I have it, and could easily be refitted.

I will try and get some pictures posted to a website in the next day or two.

So - brass tacks - I want to see what interest anyone on the list has before I try anything else in terms of finding a home. I see 3 possibilities : 1. Do what I was trying to do, fix it up as an aircooled Westy, and go camping; 2. Prime candidate for an engine swap to a Subaru or whatever; 3. All the parts are there to take a later model Vanagon and do a Westy upgrade for it.

Price - I am not decided yet. Location - east of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

I guess the question would be - is there anyone who would want to buy this thing first, before I even try to get serious about selling it? I would much prefer a list member to someone at random on eBay. If you would care to email me directly with interest and a vague range of prices you might consider, it will help me decide what the heck to do next.

Thanks.

David.