Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:12:37 -0600
From:         Paul Chubbuck <paul@TAKINGFLIGHT.NET>
Subject:      FW: Vapor lock?  Static electricity?  Help!

Points, not electronic. Thanks for the ideas. I will communicate with my mechanic this morning.

Paulo

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Shazam [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:08 PM To: paul@takingflight.net Subject: RE: Vapor lock? Static electricity? Help!

HI Paul, Another guy posted about CIS and fuel pumps. So do you have points in your distributor, or is it electronic, or you don't know ?

The distributor cap is one of those 'hope that might be it' things.

Of the dozens or hundreds of cars and vanagons I work on, I do about one distributor cap year maybe. If one is really pitted and worn - definitely replace it. And there is the very rare case of a cap that looks perfect yet is faulty. Very rare.

Mostly they work just wonderfully. I only use Bosch caps. If I see a non-bosch cap, ..well if it's working ok fine it can stay on there a while....but basically I wouldn't ever run a non-bosch cap on any of my cars/vans or put a non-Bosch cap on anyone's car, so .......very good to replace the 'non' ones. But a 'slightly tired looking Bosch cap' the odds are extremely low that that by itself is affecting how the car runs.

CIS is normally very reliable. What it actually uses as sort of a 'computer ' to affect how much fuel the injectors spray is a device that changes what is called the 'control pressure' in the fuel system according to temperature. That device is often the culprit when CIS doesn't run right. Fuel pumps and pressure of course are very important to consider. Study the system in a book. It will be interesting to see what your mech says. Here's what almost all auto tech say when it works fine for them - they say 'it wouldn't do it for us' and they send you home. Here's what I do ...... I examine everything......check lots of things looking for things that are off or weak that match the symptom. Then I offer them a repair or part that 'could' be causing the problem. I don't promise that is 'it' ....but I do say, if it was my car....and I was looking for things that need attention, or something that is likely to cause this symptom, I'd try X part, or X adjustment. That way, at least there is a chance progress is made. With 'it didn't do it for us' .....unless it just happens to never happen again, it's going to happen again. Something is not right in the system and usually things continue to wear out or get out of adjustment. With CIS you diagnose by checking fuel pressures mainly. If it's ignition related, work on that of course.

Does it have an oxygen sensor ? I don't think 85 is CIS-E which is ECU enhanced CIS. Look for wires going to the side of your fuel distributor ...an electrical connector there.....forget how many wires, a real plug though. if it has that , it's CIS-E . Early CIS systems were purely non-electronic. Don't' know what 85 has. Heck, it could be clogged cat or muffler. You have to *always* consider the exhaust system on any car with a cat, or an oxygen sensor and cat. Later ! Scott -----Original Message----- From: Paul Chubbuck [mailto:paul@takingflight.net] Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:18 PM To: 'Scott Daniel - Shazam '; 'Vanagon Mailing List' Subject: RE: Vapor lock? Static electricity? Help!

Thanks for the help offered. My system has a distributor and I guess it is CIS because it has metal braided hoses running to each cylinder. The plugs were just changed. I check the distributor cap but did not change it because it didn't look significantly carbonized or damaged.

I have used at least a couple of tanks of gas since winter, so I'm on summer formulation for sure.

Paul