Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:32:29 -0400
From:         Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Deep Cycle Batteries

Dennis, Michael,

Thanks for replies.

Michael, I have a 4AWG wire feeding the 1250W inverter, and it's only about 2 feet long, so it ought to be large enough. I charged the aux battery with no load on it (fridge and inverter are the only things wired to it) for about 45 minutes to get to 12.30 volts. In an hour and a half of using the fridge it dropped from 12.3 to 10.62 volts, about the lower limit for any cooling. Seemed to bounce back some when I turned the fridge off.

Dennis, if 800 watts at 120 volts fried the battery--then what the h**l do they sell 1200 watt inverters for? I thought you were supposed to be able to use Skilsaws etc. with the larger inverters. These are designed to go into normal cars and trucks with normal batteries, no? Or was it the length of time using it that whacked the Optima (maybe five minutes, no frothy milk on the coffee) ?

So what I'm hearing is that the aux battery isn't holding a charge, which explains why the voltage during charging is lower than on the vehicle battery.

Next time I get a degree, it's going to be electrical engineering.