Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:30:34 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Deep Cycle Batteries
Comments: To: Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

1200 watt inverters are sold because there is a need for them. My motor home has a 2,500 factory installed. It also has 450 A/H of house battery and the largest draw is the microwave. The problem is that you need the battery and alternator power to back it up. In general, batteries should be sized for a 5 hour discharge rate. So for an extended 80 amp load, you need 400 amp hour of capacity. Yup, extreme. 5 minutes is really not an extended load but a 40 amp hour battery is not going to cut it. Your load is full discharge in 1/2 hour. 2 hours discharge rate is really a practical limit.

Also 45 minutes is not charging a battery.

Your short 4 gauge wire to the inverter sounds perfect. Now since you only need that coffee machine for a few minutes, a proper charge circuit again sized for the load or at least your alternator output would have allowed you start the engine and use the alternator to make your coffee and maintain the charge and only have the battery support part of the load. Again, my earlier suggestion, and for this use, fuse or circuit breaker protection of that dedicated charge circuit is recommended to protect the alternator. A smart relay like the sure power will automatically disconnect if the alternator can not keep up with the load. This is why I just use a really unless there is regular charging form solar or shore power. Yes, the sure power can be forced on during this use.

Oh, so many choices. But you need the reserve in place to meet the demand and power management is always an issue with batteries.

Oh, and most folks that use inverters for power tools know they need to run the engine or expect a dead battery.

Dennis