Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:16:40 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Deep Cycle Batteries
Comments: To: vanagonvw <vanagonvw@GMAIL.COM>

vanagonvw typed: > > Everyone's westy is unique to them, and likely so are their battery > requirements.... >

Best advice ever.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

vanagonvw typed: > Geza Polony wrote: >> Sorry to have hijacked this thread with my own aux battery probs, > > I may have done the same thing! :-) > >> In other words, just putting the Optima (or whatever) in and >> connecting it >> to the relay, etc., is NEVER going to be enough to keep it fully >> charged? > > I don't know that much about the Optima. I was referring to lead acid, true > deep cycle batteries, which cannot be properly, and fully charged, with a > car alternator. I would defer to whatever Optima designers publish, and I > think I have read where they say a car alternator is okay, so either its > not > a true deep cycle, or their technology allows for such a method. > > FWIW, the alternator will charge to a point, and get it back there most > every time, but that may not be "fully charged" to begin with. > >>> So to >> really get >> the max out of a deep cycle battery, you have to use a separate >> charger? >> I'll try it but sure seems like a PITA to have to do. > > Just again, referring to a lead acid, true deep cycle battery... <g> > Everyone uses their batteries differently. Some folks could use a home > charger, and then not recharge during their trip, depending on all kinds of > variables. Others, would be well to use the better charger at home to > maintain it, and if it requires a recharge during a trip, well, that won't > really be so bad to do once in a while. > > It is a PITA :-) and so many justifiably decide not to do it. All that > matters, is that they understand the consequences, and will undestand the > results. There are no federal laws on battery charging :-) > > The key is to know how much power you will be needing in the first place. >> >> If they're not made to be charged "with a constant dump of current," >> then >> how can you connect them to our typical alternator/relay systems to >> good effect? > > Again, you cannot get the max life and capacity from them, using a car > alternator. The difference is how "full" you can get the battery. A car > alternator doesn't have that capability. Its up to the user to decide how > much they need, and how much they can live without. If you check out the > alternative energy sites, and places that advocate solar power for homes, > there is tons of info on how to test and check the state of charge of deep > cycle batteries. Those folks know how to get the max capacity and life out > of their batteries, as they live off of them. Its true that Westy owners > may > not need to find that extra 5-10 amps, but its all about taking care of the > investment, and getting the most out of it. > > Almost more than the issue of charging, is the issue of discharging the > battery below 50% and how much that can hurt the battery. Folks who buy a > 100Ah battery, should remember that they can really only get 50Ah out of > it. > To discharge it deeper, more than a few times, really affects the life of > even the best batteries, as well as the ability to restore it to a full > charge. > > I know a lot of people just buy Walmart marine batteries, and after > "beating > them up" just take em back for warranty replacement <g> If that works for > them, that is the way to go. Its all in the individual's expectations I > guess <shrug> > > Everyone's westy is unique to them, and likely so are their battery > requirements.... >