Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:00:39 -0400
From:         Miguel Pacheco <escorpion1955@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Starter Engages When Revving Engine

Wow, I've been too busy to ck on this list, so perhaps someone has posted this very same problem during my absence....but I doubt it. On my 90 Syncro with Tiico conversion : Replaced the starter with new/rebuilt Bosch and did the Cold Start Relay mod while I was at it because the Ingition Switch had only been delivering around 8V to Starter Terminal 50, so starting with the key was hit and miss. Immediately following Starter R&R and Relay mod, I tried to start it and nothing....nada! Checked voltage to solenoid and it was now only getting 1V.......no problem as I had a new Ignition Switch itching for the job. I put it in and presto!! Starts right up every time.....and sure it would. Why not? Well, now, to my surprise, when I revved the engine, the starter engaged again. I quickly shut it down, then restarted and no problem. Rev the engine and starter engages. Shut engine down and restarted....no problem. Pulled red/blk wire from terminal 50 on Starter Solenoid while engine is running and hooked up multi meter to it. Revved engine and got 13V! This vehicle has always been fine and has never done this before. Immediately I think that it is the Ignition Switch, but.......... It may matter that it is equipped with a battery isolator and until today, the only thing that ever changed when I revved the engine was that the Alternator light would turn off.......... Thanks for your help!!..........Miguel