Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:27:13 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Starter Engages When Revving Engine
Comments: To: Miguel Pacheco <escorpion1955@YAHOO.COM>

I have posted warnings about this problem several times over the years. It is caused by a conflict between the factory aux battery relay wiring and the added Hard Start Relay. It can also be caused by a Westy Fridge relay if wired a certain way. In any case, the fix is simple. Slide the driver's seat forward so you can access the relay under it. Find the smallish red/black wire that plugs into it and make sure you can remember where it is attached to the relay. Pull that wire off the relay. Now verify that the starter problem is gone. If it is, proceed as below.

Then you still need to replace the pulled wire with another short wire. First, tape over the end of the pulled wire so it can never touch metal and then tuck it out of the way never to be needed again. Get a 4" or so piece of wire about the same thickness as the pulled wire. Put a female spade on one end of the new wire and a ring terminal on the other. Plug the female end into the relay where the pulled wire was. Using the small screw that holds the relay to the body, pull the screw and put the ring terminal over it, then put the screw back in holding the new wire and the relay.

Mark