Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2007 05:23:27 -0400
From:         Sam Payne <bungeegull@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: screen in gas tank?
Comments: To: Alan Hosage <UCMYVW@AOL.COM>

Does his '85 van have a plastic pre-pump fliter (goes inbetween the tank outlet and fuel pump?? This was discontinued on '85 up vans, because it restricts fuel flow to the pump. There are differing opinions about this in the archives, but it did happen and was causing problems on my van. Another possiblity is that the fuel outlet line in the gas tank is plugged or kinked--replace the tank if so. In either case, when the pump can't suck enough fuel through the plastic filter it cavitates and starts pumping air into the fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel delivery amounts may still read good, but only takes a little air in the fuel to cause varying idle, sudden semi-stalls, etc. I jumped the fuel pump relay so the fuel pump ran with the engine off and could clearly hear the pump process a burst of air, then suck better, then cavitate and push more air through. It's quite noisy. I do believe that many of the listees noisy fuel pump complaints come from restricted flow to the pump. I could also hear and feel the bubbles pass through the fuel line by pinching the return hose between my fingers. Replacing the prepump filter made no difference. I cut the used prepump filter in half and found that the inlet is very restrictive, and also forces the fuel to pass around the sealed tin end of the filter element as soon as it enters. Not suprising it cavitates, the engineers were on vacation. On my Van (an '86) the tank outlet is 8mmm, but the pump inlet is 12mm. I have heard that earlier vans had a 12mm tank outlet, which should flow much better. Why VW engineers reduced the later tank outlet, I don't know. I'd guess that between reusing a tank designed for aircooled buses, getting laid off, and maybe bad beer that year, they just blew it. Bear with me a moment, I have to vent: the vanagon fuel delivery system is CRAP. I have owned only old vehicles, this system is by far the worst designed, most difficult to work on, and most dangerous. Got that off my chest. Sorry. So I threw out the prepump filter, as specified on later vanagons, went down to the local hardware store and bought a 3/8" brass hose barb (5/16" is closer to the correct size, but I wanted FLOW), threaded it into a 1/2" hose barb, and so adapted the hose diameters that way. About $6. Your friend's '85 may have a 12mm tank outlet, so no need to adapt if so. 1/2" fuel hose works for the 12mm stuff, 5/16" for the 8mm. I would recommend ditching the prepump filter and adapting the hose diameters if necessary. If the pump still cavitates, check the tank outlet. If it is restricted, you may have to replace the gas tank too. I did, which was not a joyful experience. Replace and carefully check all the grommets and seals before reinstalling the tank--if they pop off gas spills all over, potentially barbecuing you. Once fixed, the engine runs well, solid idle, no more speed variations, loss of power, etc. And the fuel pump runs quietly. Good luck, Sam