Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:58:23 -0600
From:         Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: The power we really need!
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

On Jul 30, 2007, at 11:20 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> When I was a kid, backpacking was "real" camping and I turned my > nose up > at RVs and the campgrounds they camped in. Now that I are older, I > greatly enjoy our little Westy, which someone recently called a "tree > house on wheels," and someone else dubbed a modern covered wagon. I > see > myself creeping closer to being exactly that at which I sneered. I > cringe -- cringe! -- at the idea that I, too, might find myself > sitting > on a 200 square foot piece of Astroturf beneath a 20' Fiamma > attached to > a 40-foot Hoover dam of an RV. Add a generator, a yappy dog, and an > invisible woman* and you might as well shoot me. But 20 years from > now...who knows?

Amen!

> > ------ > * "Invisible women," is the title of an article I've not yet written > about the older guys I've met at campgrounds who claim to be there > with > wives who are never seen. These women apparently live entirely in the > RVs, never setting foot outside.

Hmmmmm? Not touching that 1, but you forgot to mention the TV set w/ satellite dish on in the pull out living room, the Jeep Cherokee w/ front cover towed behind the "home" for quick trips to the store, & what more do you need to go "camping"?

I think that camping & RVing are 2 separate sports, & the older you get, the harder it becomes to sleep on the ground, get up to pee in the night, eat that jalapeno mole w/ extra onions on the side & drink that cheap beer & still get back to work the next day?

Tom B.-better to think you are "camping" than to not go at all?