Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:33:37 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: rear heater must be on?
Comments: To: Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@gmail.com>

I think 'years on end' is the main factor.

For decades and for all makes of cars we've turned our heaters off in the summer, and no heater core problems.

But vanagon rear heater cores sure go out. Most people have no idea about the valve back there. Maybe someone closes it ....and it stays closed for 10 years.

Almost 'all' vanagon rear heater cores', ....if they haven't been replaced or disconnected by now, , they're due.

Heck, lots of people can't distinguish between having hot coolant flow through a heater core, and whether you run air though it to take heat off it or not.

Yes, I hear you on your last statement. I've used many radiators that have been sitting around.....so I don't 'exactly' feel that just exposing them to air makes them go downhill.....it makes 'some sense.'

I heard of one tech that said if you change the coolant, it exposes the thermostat to air for a while, and that will hurt it, so you must replace the thermostat if you change the coolant.

I haven't found that to be the case at all, but I still hold that 'it should be considered.'

I have seen about a hundred leaking rear vanagon heater cores....

My preference.....some coolant is *always* flowing in the rear heater core , and that keeps 'em happy.

And no heat comes out unless the fan is on of course.

I have one in stock, a rear heater core, good high quality brand, should anyone need one.

btw , you don't want to need a front heater core, they coast about 4 times what a rear one costs, and they're a large job to replace. Rear ones aren't that bad.

Scott

www.turbovans.com <http://www.turbovans.com/>

-----Original Message----- From: Raymond Paquette [mailto:raymondpaquette@gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:11 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: rear heater must be on?

Hey Scott

I've read this warning before and wonder about it. It does make instinctive sense that the coolant sitting there may rot the rear heater core. But why is this not true for the front, which stays shut off much of the year? What about vehicles? Many (all) shut off the heat by shutting off the coolant flow to the core. Why is this not a universal problem?

Or is the concern only about leaving the vanagon rear shut off for years on end? How about off for summer, and on for winter?

Regarding having the rear disconnected, I think there's an argument (in theory if not practice) that oxidation need oxygen, which is in air, and will happen worse/more quickly with the core drained. My dad (mechanic for 50yrs) always recommended against junkyard radiators for this reason.

Raymond

( oh. !...your rear heater....SO MANY VANAGON OWNER'S DON'T KNOW about this..... It MUST either have the valve under the rear seat at least half on to keep coolant circulating, or the rear heater should be disconnected. LOTS of vanagons have the rear heater water valve closed, the coolant sits in there and rots out the rear heater core. I've got a new one right here in stock.....It's not that the rear heater system is so weak, it's not, it's that people don't understand how to take care of it, and it's few and far between to find a vanagon tech who knows about this, or cares, or will explain it to you. I dare say. )