Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:59:47 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Improving stock curtains/matress toppers
Comments: To: Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>

Hi Troy and Others

For Foam: There are 3 different firmnesses for Memory foam. The Most common is the Cheapest that you will find at Most costcos Sams etc. There is a Medium that I prefer being at a light 195 LBs if a bit heavier I recommend the Firm Version to help Hold or support more weight. It will still soften up with Body heat and conform to your body and give support. The soft which is the most common Topper is cheaper but if your heavier then 150 pounds you will Flatten it. 2 inch is really the Min to use. I sleep Up stairs with my oldest daughter and use a 1 inch camp mat and 2 inch Older softer topper. ( I need the middle firmness topper!) Also Upstairs is limited to a MAX of 3 inch topper since the angle of the roof doesnt allow any foot room. The biggest issue I have is Storage of the topper. I stuff it in a Mesh laundry bag to make it as small as possible. Ive got problems with my arms falling asleep as well as my hands, My back is a mess as well as neck if I dont use a topper of some sort. My wife and younger daughter sleep below so I get the upper and have to make it the way I need it. So If your a light weight (under 160 lb) the softer should be fine. If Mid weight 160 to 210 use the Mid firmness and if a Husky ( over 210 ) Which im not sure if you would want to sleep up stairs but use the Firm. This will give the best support and comfort to help you sleep a bit easier. Also Memory foam is NOT CHEAP except the costco stuff since it is the cheapest to make ( Less Fill ) That is why they carry it. You can cover your topper with a couple of old sheets make a pillow case out of them and just slip the foam in dont worry about a zipper. Or if you have a old duvet cover that will work just fine. This is so you can just take it off and wash as needed.

For Curtains: for the front I make and sell a windshield cover that works well. If you want to keep more light out put up the stock curtain inside and the windshield cover outside. for the sides I made up a prototype sun shade that will block out 90% of the light and allow you to see out. just pull the curtains with these installed out side and it is fairly dark. As for up stairs I make a Thermal insulation But ive made 2 so far with No insulation to work as a extra rain protect and keep the light out. does make it darker. Also for the sky light just take a small pc. of vinyl and have someone sew on velcro to stick on and bingo no light can come in. BUT dont use stick back velcro on Vinyl ( Vinyl Out gasses and releases the adhesive from the Vinyl, Gets sticky and gooey dont do it!!! Makes a Mess!!) You can also make up some quick vinyl curtains and go to home depot and get the 2" metal spring clamps and just clamp it to the rain gutter and let it hang over the windows. Ive seen this done and it works. Not the prettiest but all in a nights sleep. ( also use marine vinyl if you want to do a better job, Wont fade and turn to crap as fast as auto or commercial vinyl) to keep the bottom from flapping use a few larger rare earth magnets in the corners and just stick to the body ( unless it is all bondo ) . C-ya Jonce www.fanchers.com

>Hi folks:

>Just got back from a trip down to Valdez Alaska-- absolutely stunning I must say. The forecast was for mostly cloudy skies, and it turned out during the entire trip there was only two hours worth of rain--total bliss! The unfortunate part about vacationing in the land of the midnight sun is the stock curtains do not block light very well. Seem like I was up after four hours of sleep, so was exhausted when I got home. I would love to improve the stock curtains to make the interior darker, but wondering if that attempt would be in vain as the pop up canvas doesn't block all that much light. I can sew, but the curtains don't seem all that straightforward, particularly the part where the curtain hooks attached. I thought about some kind of iron on fabric, but not sure if it would hold up in the washing machine.

>Second, I picked up a 1.5" piece of memory foam, but still tend to wake up with a very stiff back. Surely, I'm not the only one that suffers from back problems. Any suggestions on mattress pads? Cabela's does sell a 3" roll-up bed, but that may be overkill. It's 48 x 78 I believe, which should fit.

>The good news in addition to some of the most breathtaking scenery I have ever experienced, is my new Subaru E22 engine performed flawlessly. Was able to cruise at 65, and take most hills at 60 without a problem. I suspect the engine could go even faster, but weak brakes, and horrible aerodynamics doesn't lend itself to superfast driving, and actually that was fine by me.

>Here's a link to a few photos from the trip:

>http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cwphoto2/?change_count=0

>Enjoy!

>Troy

Jonce Fancher

56 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 66 Porsche 912 71 Sunroof Bus 84 Vanagon "Gottfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/