Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:58:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Underheating and squeaks/groans
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

Sounds like a classic case of a 2.1 wbxr thermostat being stuck open to me, and it's been that way for years. Wastes fuel. Not good for the engine either. Important that it run up to temp. I'd start with a good new German thermostat.

KYB's don't make it. Genernally a cheap shock not up to vanagon's real needs.

On squeaks.....upper a -arm bushings are famous for that. Very last bushing and link and part that wears should be looked at underneath.

When you have a collection of 40 ( or more ) parts that all have 150k+ miles on them, and are all at least 50 % tired, it's very hard to pick out 6 parts that will make a fundamental difference in the overall blend of how it all works. Some parts will be obviously shot or worn out. Those do for sure. Upper a-arm bushings don't fail, the just get old, funky, and squeaky. Ball joints......of the 4 on the front, I doubt you have 4 perfect ones, unless they've been replaced sometime. Etc. Scott www.turbovans.com