Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:03:52 -0700
From:         Brendan Slevin <brendan@BELLATAZZA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inserting Terry K heater shutoff valve

You know, the guy I got Totoro from said almost this same thing. "Just take it slow and careful and you'll be much better off."

Brendan 84 GL Totoro

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. -T.S. Eliot

The only stock vanagon that has the heater cable inside the passenger compartment next to the glove box is the 82 diesel vanagon, the first water cooled vanagon of any kind.

In 83 and from then on up, it's under the floor, above the spare tire.....'up in there.' I figure they did it for safety reasons .....more hoses and parts in the passenger area means more chances of coolant leaking into the passenger's floor area ....its' poisonous, it could scald someone, it makes a mess in the interior.

I'm pretty sure there is only one heater cable, for all water cooled vanagons, whether the heater valve is in the cockpit, or below the floor. - point is, the stock cable works in either case, just fine.

Being a total safety nut .....i would always opt for having the heater valve below the floor. I have experienced where they wouldn't quite go all the way on and also all the way off - almost like you get either 'full off in the summer, but not 100 % in the winter, or vice-versa.

I did on my 82 turbo diesel vanagon put a hardware store valve in the dash.....kinda below the glove box, where I could reach it easily..........I think I eventually went back to stock heater valve. On about 10 vanagons since then I've never bothered or had a problem with unwanted heat, or lack of good heater control. You do have to pay attention to the cable though. It's a dumb design, and coupled with the fact that no one, basically, ever lubes that cable and many other little mechanisms on vanagons....the cable gets draggy.

And....here's the dumb design part....when you move the lever towards 'warmer' ( right ) you are Pulling the cable out of it's housing, and opening the heater valve more. No problem.

However, when you move the lever left, you are trying to push the inner cable back into the ( unlubed and draggy ) outer cable housing ....and they have a nice 4 inch span or so where the cable will gladly bow out and kink - from then on, you can't shut your heater valve off all the way. Virtually 'all' vanagons do this, but the solution is real simple. Either replace the cable, or even just straighten it nicely, and lube the heck out of the cable, inside. Move the lever back and forth, get a nice spray lube going into the cable, and lube that sucker up real nice... Like 5 minutes of feeding lube and moving the lever/cable. Lube the lever pivot point too.

I get wonderful heater valve control this way, and easily, and without ordering or buying parts even, quite often, on dozens of vanagons.

( I know it's really fun to put on some 'creative' non- factory system sometimes.......for sure - and having fun IS important, and I will re-do something the factory did a poor job on one.......but as Mark Drillock suggested..... too many tacked-on and or hacked modifications............you know. And I even had what mark suggested could happen - I had a girlfriend say, no, "I don't want to drive it , there are too many special switches and things to monitor."

Anyway , do as you will - and let's just be reasonable about modifications, let's have them be 'factory looking' and nicely functional, and not tacked-on 'afterthings' too badly !

Last comment - I suggest that we develop a more 'inspect, diagnose, adjust, tweak, lube, straighten, re-set, etc' mentality, and less of a 'parts mentality.'

Really, about 75 % of the time, just looking at some system carefully, cleaning it up, flushing fluids, what-have-you - makes a fine and lasting repair.

Of course, I personally don't figure to neglect the refurbished system for 10 years either. - those following the common 'do nothing until it doesn't work right' regime might indeed want to replace most parts in sight each time some system calls for attention.

Personally, I find it more rewarding and less expensive to 'nurture' most systems by taking really good care of them......I must spray a lube on things 50 times a day sometimes. Amazing what a difference that makes to almost all systems. .........Why................... lube a brake pedal push rod clevis pin......who ever heard of that ??? Or the tip of the clutch slave pushrod where it meets the lever on the side of the bell housing ? ......yes - your vanagon would love to have every tiny part that moves lubed now and then. There could be a couple hundred little spots no one ever lubes, where metal slides on metal. ( ever hear a squeak ? ...in metal parts, that's the sound of metal molecules being sheared off by the other piece of metal it rubs on). The heater valve control cable is a good example - so easy to make work right with just a little attention, straightening, lubing etc. Anyway, do as you will, and enjoy your vanagon all you can, and I just suggest that 'replacing parts' is only one small tool in a large too bag of vanagon-healing tricks. It's sure not the first tool I reach for, but then I get a lot personal reward out of nurturing a part or system back to heath, by lubing, tweaking, cleaning ...all that. Any idiot can slap on a new part - and sometimes the aftermarket parts aren't even as good as the factory parts....

Here is a sign of mastery to strive for .....knowing how to get 100% the result you seek, with 'just enough' energy and effort, and not expending more than is needed, or way much more than is really needed. . If there is something you are *really* good at, notice how you usually don't use a sledge hammer, where a tiny tap will produce the desired result.

Scott www.turbovans.com