Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2007 21:19:55 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: When a 20-yr old can't afford a hippy bus
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

sniff sniff ... a happy story indeed ... very cool to see what asking the pretty girl to dance can result in ... by the way craig ... dont forget the ol lady after the van has gone to final rest ... she may simply be in need of a young friend who will offer her a reason to hang around and hsare her life... i bet she has a few stories to tell... and some interesting cookies to share good luck with your new found friend ... by the by there is a new magazine out in vancouver and along the coast called listers army... you have to be under 34 and over 60 to submit articles ... very cool indeed yours

On 8/3/07, craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com> wrote: > > I had this entirely in my mind when it happened today, this thread that > is. > See, theres a baywindow westy about 10 miles out of my way that someone > enlightened me to about a year ago. Every now and then i drive by to > reassure myself the white ghost is still there, and the treat thats > growing > out of its roof/right next to it is still doing well. Its the driveway of > a > nice old house. Some time ago i used google earth to find the houses > address > (as its not listed on the mailbox) in an attempt to eventually write them > a > nice letter asking them about the bus. On todays faithful stroll, i saw an > elderly woman sitting on the front porch and decided to go talk to her. > > Long story short, not only can a 20 year old afford a hippy bus, an 18 > year > old can be GIVEN a 1975 westy and actually asked and encouraged to do > something with it (even if thats just part it out). The nice old lady > lives > alone, no remaining decendants, used to be her sons.....it comforts her > but > shed like to find it a home even if thats in a junkyard where people can > get > parts. She said its mine for the taking, the engine turns over by key and > it > ran when parked FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. Long story short, the body is GONE, > i'll > post pictures soon, but doesnt loook to be worth saving. I have little to > no > use for a baywindow that cant be saved, might take it for parts, keep my > favorite goods (make a couch out of the rear seat, a clock out of the > hubcaps, etc) and part out the rest. Anyone need something specific (or > alot > of specific things) off a 1975 Westy? > > So i guess i was wrong, good things do happen to good people and a 20 year > old CAN afford a hippy bus! > > -Craig > '85GL > > On 8/3/07, Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > "Eat Desert First" became my credo. > > > > where did you race your 928, The Baja 1000? > > > > sorry, it's friday night > > > > > > > > On 8/3/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > > > > > Right, that's me. I took a pre-emptive retirement and spent my > savings > > > and some inherited money on the Porsche racing interlude. "Eat Desert > > > First" became my credo, after I watched my father (among many others) > > work > > > his butt off for 50 years so he could retire, then he died..Also, I > had > > a > > > close call myself with a truck hitting me as I waited for a flag > person > > > at a construction delay...Doing everything right, and I still lost a > > few > > > years of my life as I recovered. I vowed then that if I ever got back > > to > > > normal, I wouldn't waste my precious time "working, so I could retire > > > sometime and do what I wanted".. > > > You musta missed my "smiley face"..Actually, it is a bit easier to > > sustain > > > the 84 hippy bus than back when I flipped burgers for the 36hp 57 > South > > > African panel van...But a carpenter's wage now is pretty dismal... > > > Don Hanson > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: Jake de Villiers > > > To: Don Hanson > > > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > > Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:34 AM > > > Subject: Re: When a 20-yr old can't afford a hippy bus > > > > > > > > > Come on Don, aren't you the guy that "raced" a Porsche 928 with 550 HP > & > > > extensive expensive body & chassis mods? Or was that just a story? > > > > > > Otherwise, I'm thinking that you could have bought a decent '84 GL for > > the > > > cost of the tires and entry fees for one event! > > > > > > > > > On 8/2/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > > Back when I was 20, I worked to barely own my 57 split window > 36hp > > > house > > > on wheels. Fried burgers in Seal Beach, Ca. and washed dishes in > > > Aspen, Co. > > > in winter..Lived in the bus, because rent was too steep. Pretty > cold > > > in > > > Aspen.. > > > > > > Ah, but now, I can still just barely afford my 84 hippy > bus.(smiley > > > face) > > > Still live in it for months at a time. Make about the same > spendable > > > income > > > these days being a master carpenter and cabinet maker as I did > > flipping > > > burgers or washing dishes. > > > > > > But, would I trade it all for a "real job"? Stockbroker, Oil > man, > > > politician? No..I guess not..in fact.. > > > He** No!... No Way! > > > Don Hanson > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Jake > > > 1984 Vanagon GL > > > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > > > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > > > > > >

-- roger w There are two kinds of jobs in the world: Picking up garbage and telling people things. Successful people do both, with the same good attitude. (riw) ----------------------------------------------------------- View my NEWEST video work at: http://one.revver.com/watch/345572/flv http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364