Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2007 21:34:51 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: in bear country - food in the van or not?

Ranger lady at Highland Lakes didn't see a problem with our poptop. Said that folks leave their food unprotected then seem surprised that bears get it. Same at Woods Lake and Silver Creek and East Fork. Poptops don't seem to trigger any warnings from the folk who try to keep us idiots from getting into too much trouble.

We kept an eye on the food during the day, brought it inside at night. The Sierra black bears can be real tenacious and fearless, but they aren't grizzlies. The rule is if the bear has the food, give it up, because he or she won't. If you get to the food first, the bear will most likely concede ownership. "Most likely" is the key word here, because they are not completely predictable. I think of Sierra black bears as really large and potentially lethal raccoons, but about as likely to break into my bedroom as a raccoon. Will snoop around though and try doorknobs. The sliding door handle is too easy for them to open, so we kept it locked at night.

Do the bears a favor: keep your food from them. Bears that succeed at getting your food will be emboldened to try to get it from someone else. Such bears get relocated. If they continue to be a nuisance they may be killed.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

Jeffrey Olson typed: > There are two kinds of California bears, those that are hunted and those > that aren't. Those in Yosemite, and this drought year those in > populated areas of the Sierra, will eat your food. One woman in South > Tahoe reported a bear tapped her on the side while she was emptying > garbage into her garbage can - a very polite bear. If a campground has > bear boxes, use them. Bears have been known to break into cars based on > food in coolers. Yosemite keeps a running count of the damage done by > bears to cars each year - it's hundreds of thousands of dollars. > > You will have nocturnal visitors, bears and raccoons. But most bears > are hunted and afraid of humans. There is a small minority that will > not fear you. Throw rocks at them and make loud noises - bang big > spoons on metal pots and yell. Shine your million candlepower > flashlight in their eyes and whoop. This usually works. > > It's all part of the experience after all - enjoy your contact with > nature!!! It's their world... > > Jeff Olson > Martin, SD > > > >> Anyone have any estimate of what's "safe" versus what's "paranoid"? >> I'd really like to go happily back up into bear country (California's >> Sierras ... among the most glorious parts of this earth that I've ever >> seen!!! :-D) >> >> >> (Just becuz yer paranoid duzn't mean they're not out to get ya!!!) >> >> >