Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2007 23:06:50 -0700
From:         W Peabody <w.peabody@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: in bear country - food in the van or not?

On 8/3/07, Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > Ranger lady at Highland Lakes didn't see a problem with our poptop. Said > that folks leave their food unprotected then seem surprised that bears > get it. Same at Woods Lake and Silver Creek and East Fork. Poptops don't > seem to trigger any warnings from the folk who try to keep us idiots > from getting into too much trouble.

Well, in that case, as long as the rangers don't have a problem with the poptop campers... :)

To add insult to injury, (though it is ultimately the car owner's fault) I recall stories of how the authorities at parks look at the person's destroyed car, shake their heads, offer to arrange for a tow truck, and then write the car owner a ticket for a $500 fine for feeding the animals. Or something like that... I don't know exactly what the fines are, but up at Mt. St. Helens, it is a hefty fine if they even catch you feeding so much as a sesame seed to a chipmunk. And such aggressive little critters they are, wanting to climb into your vehicle, put their feet up on your table and then eat your Ritz crackers. Hehe. We had to eat with the doors closed. Yet they resolutely stood outside, hitting the door window with their tiny fists... ;D