Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:05:20 -0700
From:         Reinhard Vehring <rvehring@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Increase ride height on 2wd front
Comments: To: Joel VanderKwaak <joelvanderkwaak@gmail.com>

Joel, exactly what I was thinking. The upper control arm on the syncro is different from 2wd, but the ball joints are the same, so I would think that the spacer would fit the 2wd. How can I get the spacers? From the pics it looks like it is about 20 mm thick. I need to dig out my ME books and look into stress on longer screws. The two screws holding the ball joint need to be longer now and they better hold or the consequences would be very nasty. This solves only a part of the problem, though. We also need longer shocks, or a spacer for the mounting point in the lower control arm. Now comes the interesting question: How far can we let the suspension drop, what is the limit? So I need range of motion for both ball joints, the strut bar mounting point, and the steering gear, and check for interference with the anti roll bar, and see at what angle the springs pop out of the lower control arm. Now that I think about it, it should be possible to drop the mounts for lower control arm, and sway bar straigth down. The strut bar mount is angled but I guess something could be worked out. That way the whole lower suspension would sit deeper, the upper control arm stays where it is, upright, springs, and shocks would be longer. Just need to check the tie rods for length and range of motion. Sounds crazy?

Have fun, Reinhard

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/