Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:35:07 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Van Died

This sounds like a major electical failure of some sort, so start at the battery, and work your way out. See if the other items work - lights, fans, etc. By seeing what works, and what does not, you can find the more likely spots for your problem. The more things that do not work, the closer to the main power leads your failure is. Almost all the power for the van starts at the battery, runs thru cables to the starter, and then starts branching away. If you have lights, but no starter, that shows you have a battery connection to the mains, but not the starter. Could be a broken lead at the starter, or a bad starter, or a failure at the ignition switch, etc.

This is a big logic tree. Each bit of information you get eliminates some areas to look for/at, and narrows things down.

Usually, the bigger the problem, the easier it is to find. Fewer causes to investigate...

BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> wrote: My 83.5 stopped dead coming up my street today. It just cut out. I don't think I hear the fuel pump kicking in with the key. Whats the best way to diagnose this?

Thanks, Bryan