Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2007 16:19:12 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      T3 Westy's; batteries; how to have your cake and eat it

Hi,

Following my dual 6V deep cycle install in a T4 Westy and the recent flurry of battery emails to the list, I started thinking of what would be the best way to maximize deep cycle Ah, while minimizing space use in a T3 Westy.

Removing the constraint of not converting storage space into battery space, one can of course put the tried and true golf cart size deep cycles in the locker under the bench seat.

However, for many of us the under seat storage is an important locker to squeeze in bulky outdoor equipments, that won't fit elsewhere. For me so important so I even removed the heater in there on my '85.

So what remains to utilize are the two regular battery lockers behind drivers and passenger seats. One is already taken by the starting battery, and in the other one cannot fit a larger than 55-70Ah deep cycle. So what can one do to get 100+ Ah deep cycle capacity?

My proposed solution is to replace the typical charge relay with a battery voltage cut out relay (or "battery protector"). That is one of those devices that are advertised to protect your starting battery from discharging to a voltage below what's required to start a car.

Now instead of having one dedicated starting battery and one deep cycle battery, you need two deep cycle batteries with enough CCA to start your vehicle. They will be connected together in parallel for long periods, so they should be of same type and age. (Otherwise small differences in chemistry might make one battery leak current into the other, and thus parasitically discharge)

Armed with a couple of 12V gel cell batteries (from our robots at school), a "battery protector" relay from Canadian tire, my 1000W inverter, a charger and some test loads, I set out to test this idea. (On the bedroom floor, to wife's dismay when she came home... I was quickly booted out)

I wired it together as follows: Battery 1 was wired to charger and would act as the starting battery in a vehicle setup. Battery 2 was wired to the inverter (and any other camping loads). The "battery protector" was set up between the two batteries according to the enclosed manual.

In operation, it works like this: When charging, the battery protector puts both batteries in parallel, just like a dual battery charge relay. The difference is that when it stops charging, and switches to discharge during camping, the two batteries remain connected, but only until a certain voltage/discharge %-age is reached. After this, the relay cuts, and battery 1 becomes isolated from battery 2.

The experiment started well. Batteries both charged up. I disconnected the charger, and I could use the combined CA of both to run loads. On reaching 12V (corresponding to about 50% battery capacity) the relay would cut the connection as advertised on the battery protector box. Experiment successfully concluded I thought, and prepared to wrap up. Whoops, moments later, the battery protector cut back in again, then it would oscillate in and out, upping and lowering the voltage around the set point 12V, causing an alarm buzzer to go off in the inverter. (Alerting wife...)

So what happened? When the battery protector cut the connection at 12 V, battery 1 that had been loaded, but now was unloaded, would recover after some time, voltage go up above 12V again, and the battery protector did exactly what it is supposed to do: enable the connection again. Now being loaded, but not recharged, the voltage would quickly drop below 12V, causing the relay to cut, and this would go on over and over again at a

rapid rate. (presumably until the battery was discharged enough to remain under 12V even unloaded)

Not a pleasant effect! So how to solve? Turns out the solution was rather easy. Instead of having the negative "sense" wire on battery 1, the starting battery, (this is the normal setup as it then measures the voltage of that "protected" battery.), i put the sense wire on battery 2, the camping battery. Now it worked great: When the voltage dropped below 12V, the relay would cut and separate the batteries. Battery 2 remains loaded, hence the sense voltage does not pop above 12V, and the starting battery remains protected, without any on-off oscillation.

So end effect was that from my two 10Ah robot gel cells got 10Ah while both were connected, and another 5Ah from battery 2, after disconnect, while "protecting" 5Ah in battery 1. Scaling this to two 70Ah deep cycles (about the biggest size that can be squeezed into the T3 battery boxes.), one would get 70Ah while in parallel (at a very high max current capacity, no problem to run your cappuchino maker!), then another 35Ah in single battery mode, making a total of 105Ah deep cycle capacity, and still fitting in the standard spaces! 50% remains in battery 1 for starting. (Other mixes of starting/camping Ah percentages can be had by varying the cutoff voltage.) Like both having your cake and eating it... An added bonus, is that in winter use (when we drive to ski places, but don't camp in the Westy), there is double the CCA of one battery to start the Diesel in my '82.

Any cons? Well now both batteries will be cycled in semi-deep cycle mode, so the one used for starting will likely wear out a bit faster than if it had not been used for caming supply. On the other hand, if the typical use is using 70Ah or less, then the combined life of both batteries will be much better than if a single 70Ah deep cycle was used to 70Ah, since each battery is only cycled to 50% of capacity instead of one to 100%.

I've got some bodywork to do on the '82 Westy, so probably won't splurge on the 2 deep cycles until next season, but will keep looking for the best battery (most Ah, least cost) that fits the T3 in the meanwhile.

Martin

PS "Battery protector" was bought for $27 at Canadian tire on sale. It is rated at 275A continuous, 1100A intermittent (starting) current. Everything at CT goes on sale cyclically so it's just a matter of looking and waiting. -- Martin Jagersand University of Alberta http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/