Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:51:23 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump issues.
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

Craig -

I can't speak as an authority but I wired my pump backwards once as well - it did not hurt the pump. As a matter of fact that pump is still running strong. YMMV

On 8/4/07, craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com> wrote: > > Ok. SO i'm checking out the fuel pump, as it seems to account for the car > not starting. I had a mechanic help me check the relays by jumping them > and > he says they seem to be working right and that it just seemed to be a bad > pump. SO, i put in my spare pump (i think its brand new). Well it seems i > wired it backwards because no one ever taught me that on European cars, > BLACK does NOT mean NEGATIVE and they tell me the ground wire should be on > negative and the black wire on positive. So, i switched it, and the car > still doesnt start. Maybe i damaged the pump? Can these get destroyed by > running backwards? If so, i just killed two fuel pumps. > > I rigged up a voltmeter to the fuel pump that could be watched from the > drivers seat while turning the key. With the key in the first position > (auxillary) i get only 0.3 Volts to the fuel pump and it does NOT kick > over. > When i'm turning the engine over, it gets 9.5 Volts. It seems that this is > drastically wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated. > > -Craig > '85GL >

-- Thanks,

Jeff 90' Carat (Grover) 86' (We call this one Parts) 85' GL (Preparing for reanimation)