Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:54:45 -0400
From:         Ben <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Head leak
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Lately, i had a problem with a van, a cooling problem of course, to cut that very short, i found that the metal cooling tube (1.9L) between pump and right water jacket, under the pulley, was clogued with a black stuff, semi solid, the tube was 70% clogued. After a close look at the pump, the impeller was also full of that stuff.

So i ask the customer what he did but he had just bought the van so he didn't know... but! under the rear seat we found something similar to Bars Leak, i don't remember the name, a few tube of that stuff.

So yes, i agree that maybe a little bit of that stuff may help for a wile, maybe, maybe not. Now, like 95% of van owner that ask me to make their van as reliable as possible, i don't tell them to put crappy stuff in the van cooling system, or even some other shitty product in the oil system, or neither in the fuel.

So ok if you drive your 7 pass. Vanagon around town, but when you leave for a 3-4 k miles trip with kids in the back... let's be a little more intelligent about the maintenance of their vans.

This morning, i have 34 messages on my answering machine (bummer), 6 of those call are people stranded, on those 6, 3 of my customers, on those 3, 2 have problemes that i told them about not so long ago, but they said NO, and they are now crying.

I work hard to educate people about the maintenance of Vanagons, online and in my shop, some will listen and go the right way, some won't. I say educate! i think i can now humbly say so, after a few years working full time on those vans i have learn a lot, and still learning.

So be it.

Ben