Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Aug 2007 01:10:06 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Labor, 28 hours, customer say, i have no money....
Comments: To: B Anderson <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>

I read you all... i didn't know that post will turn into a social one. But that's ok i guess.

Here is what i know, my side of the story:

I fix 15+ yo vehicle, sometime way more. they are VW, VW leaks like crasy, that mean I get dirty like hell, all the time, i drink "prestone" for breakfast, oil for lunch and fuel for diner, i come home at 9pm on average, i do my own accounting when possible, i have a big web site to maintain. I'm still in the very minus (-) of my bank account (you don't want to know...), everytime i start an engine after a rebuilt or a re-seal i shiver/shake... when ready to start that one, it will never stop, i'm like that, excited but nervous, this may sound cool, exciting, but it's not... it's getting on my nerve with time, i take so much risk to fix those old engine that i sometime think that i make miracle. It's nothing like working on a 99 Honda Civic engine.. new parts at the dealer... so on.

Parts are getting hard to find.. if i break something rare in the process of a rebuilt... i'm fu** (sorry), i need to order from far away and i'm stuck with that van, this van is using one of my 3 spot. So for maybe a week or 2, i have to forget about that working space.

I heard that no one want to work on AC vanagon on my part of the wood... i fully understand why! Soon, it's gonna be the same for Water leaker.

So please, let's not put mechanic as rich men and frigging crook, far from it. I have to say that sometime, it's for the love of the frigging machine that we do so, more as a passion than anything else. But yes, i need money to eat, and that is the sad truth.

I would challenge any of you, come work with me for a week... you will go back to your normal clean job, believe me. I know so much about those you have no idea, i'm staying humble most of the time.

Beside my shop there is many shop, i see 60-65yo men working 10/7, still working hard after 20+ years, honest men.

Lien, written stuff, honnor, layer... it's all BS, just be frigging honest with YOURSELF for a start, you had work done, you bought something, just pay for the frigging thing. If the product is not good, to work not well done that another story. We are all responsible for our decision, but sadly, some just don't up to the task (her goe's my English)

Some years ago, here, on this list, i "bashed" mechanic's, I Sincerely apologise for saying so... i won't get rich with my shop, i know that by now. But i'm free.

I'm not fixing car, i'm fixing one vehicle, it's called a Westy.

Marde, chu tanne d'mexprimer dans un autre "esti" langue... mais vous comprenez meme pas dimension de mon implication... quelle valeurs a le partage, dite moi?

Regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com/