Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Aug 2007 17:54:54 -0700
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Labor, 28 hours, customer say, i have no money....

David,

I think you're a little confused about the applicability of the mechanics lien in California. The mechanics lien is used by contractors.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/forms/MechanicsLiens.asp

As I said earlier, in California, if the customer can show that the vehicle is their primary mode of transportation and will cause undo hardship if lost, they can take the vehicle without paying the bill (the sheriff is usually required). I know this for a fact as I had this ploy played on me once... once!

Cheers,

Jeff

--- Jeff Ensing <Kjmmensing@AOL.COM> wrote:

> In a message dated 8/8/2007 7:18:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM writes: > > I learned about the law of Mechanic's Lien. It is a state level > law that is for protecting the business side, not customer side. > Because of the law a customer really does not need to pay deposit > any more. If customers don't pay they lose their car or their house. > But on the other hand fraudulent business practices often end up > losing their licenses. > > > There is just one problem with "law of Mechanic's Lien" > > It's a three letter word for bend over and pay the attorney

Jeff:

Does your state have such a law? If yes you may want to learn about it. It is a law specifically in California to deal with people not paying the contractor or the mechanic after the job is completed. There are so many disputes on the daily basis. The law is required to deal with the problem quickly.

You can bring the customer to court and win without a lawyer. The law is there and the judge will quickly reward you provided by the law. But of course if the work is not done as promised then it is a different matter.

By the way, the law makes every consumer, especially me, to worry about the quality of contractors. There is no way I can refuse to pay regardless I am satisfied or not with the job. However, as a result my contractor for the roof work did not have to ask for a deposit because the protection the laws provided him.

Believe me I think the law is wrong. It is for you not for me.

David

____________________________________________________________________________ ________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/