Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:57:59 -0400
From:         Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy large battery capacity options
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis,

Know you're knowledgeable about this battery stuff...so respect your opinion....but need more explanation.

>The multiple small batteries in parallel is just not a good idea. > >Why? > >The A/H ratings are inflated, ideal conditions and all the way down to >10.5 volts.

Isn't this true for all batteries.....regardless of size or manufacturer...so comparing one setup with another....true capacity would be the same for either ??????

>Charging current has to be limited due to the small size. Pooping 14 volts >of alternator power is not a good idea.

You might have something here....I think the recommended charging is at 4 amps. I'm going to call the Tempest company tomorrow and get some answers and recommendations.

Are we worried about the 14 volts or the 70-90 amps of the alternator (I'm electrically challenged)

>Lots of connections to service.

True but this is a risk I think I'd be willing to take in order not to give up space under my seat or in the Westy cabinets.

>Still spending 1.50 to 2.00 per amp hour.

What are the cheaper alternatives?...even so...what is the value of saving the storage space...relative to each person I guess. > >Short life as bad as Optima.

?????? I don't have any Optimas so I'm not aware that they have a bad rep for short life. But if these are designed for deep cycle use.....why?. > >

So, for me, ...of the arguments above...the only one causing me enough concern to blow this idea off...is the charging issue....if they can't be charged with the alternator, well, that would be a big drag....although I suppose there would be some type of regulator that could drop the alternator current down.

Warren C