Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Aug 2007 07:43:49 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tires - oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just to get the rims thats a deal..

Joe

-----Original Message----- >From: Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@GMAIL.COM> >Sent: Aug 9, 2007 7:29 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Tires - oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > >Just saw these on CL. > >http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/392662346.html > >I think the tires are passenger tires but the wheels look good. > > >Lee >89 syncro > > > >On 8/8/07, John Reddick <SVYOLO@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >> I have finally been able to drive, for a couple of hundred miles each, >> most or all of the "recommended" tires for the Vanagon. I have owned >> several sets myself, including Michelin MXT's, XCA's, Goodyear A/T TA's, >> all >> in 14 inch. I have driven Continental Vanco's, Agilis, Hankooks as >> well. I >> have driven, and owned, several sets of cheap 14" passenger tires. I >> think >> the A/T TA's, on a passenger syncro, were my favorite. The MXT's had >> awesome steering feel. The XCA's were the most solid feeling by far, but >> needed dry sandpaper for a driving surface as their tread was worthless on >> anything else. The Agilis and Hankooks ride very well, but handling is a >> bit vague, albeit safe. >> What is the best choice? If cost is the primary issue, Busdespots >> price >> on the Hankooks is really hard to beat, and they do ride very smooth. If >> cost is not overriding, forget them all. I have driven an equal number of >> Vanagon's with 15 or 16 inch wheels, with a huge assortment of tires. All >> of them, every single one, was vastly superior to any 14 inch tire on a >> Vanagon. It is the cheapest bang-for-the-buck upgrade you can ever put on >> a >> Vanagon. >> More importantly, if you grenade a tire somewhere, the local tire store >> will have something, maybe even a cheap used tire, that is safe. 14" >> inchers in reinforced sidewalls are special order only at most places. Try >> blowing 2 tires 200 miles north of Fairbanks like me. If I had 15"ers, I >> would have been back on the road, safely, in under an hour. Instead, I >> spent >> 2 weeks in vain trying to find something suitable, and ended up limping >> 1000 >> miles south until I found a Canadian Tire with Michelin XCA's in stock. >> I know this post will cause lots of disagreement, angst, and hateful >> responses. I am lucky that I get to drive a lot of vans with different >> equipment. I will never own a Vanagon with 14 inch wheels for any length >> of >> time. Actually, lightweight 2wd passenger vans do OK, just OK, with some >> 14 >> inch tires. By the time you get to a Westy, or worse yet a Syncro Westy, >> 15 >> inch is the minimum. >> John >>