Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:39:38 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic woes
Comments: To: Paul Chubbuck <paul@takingflight.net>

I understand your sentiments.

:)

When it was staying lit, (at least long enough to get things cold) did it get the fridge down to app. a 40F differential? If not.....

Did you clean the jet orifice and if so, how did you clean it?

I used acid/water mix on mine and it cured the problem of flame not creating enough heat.

Does it stay lit long enough to see if thermostat changes flame from small to large?

Is plug in at bottom? (drain plug)

If pump gets that much resistance, is it possible that something is blocking the flow of air from pump and building pressure? (far fetched idea I know) Maybe that would also prevent pump from getting fresh air from getting to chamber.

Is intake tube *absolutely* clear?

Check Roger Sislers pages for some pics and info. It helped me. (and so did he!)

Forgive my spelling. No glasses on!

Neil.

On 8/10/07, Paul Chubbuck <paul@takingflight.net> wrote: > I sealed one side with a cork and blew in the other end. Very leaky. > > I just spent the better part of the today taking it all apart, sealing the > system with better gaskets and caulk and putting it back together. Same > cork test was MUCH less leaky, almost no leaking at all afterwards. > > But....I just got it back together and, guess what? I cannot get it to stay > it lit more than a few seconds. And the pump, which I cleaned and > re-lubricated with silicone instead of oil, is so stiff that it's very > difficult to get more than 5-6 strokes in. > > I even obtained a little 2 D-cell operated fish aeration pump which I > plumbed in next to the air pump with a "T", but that didn't help get it > started at all. > > VERY discouraging. I've put in at least a solid week's work on that damn > Dometic this season yet don't have an reliable fridge to show for it. > > A Norcold by next season, I swear. > > Paul > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Roger Sisler > Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 12:51 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Dometic woes > > Check for a leaking combustion chamber, with the Domeitic still installed. > > Leaky chamber causes hard staring and flame out when driving. > > Remove the chrome vent cover. Put a cork in the deepest of the two vents, > and blow into the other. It should be an obvious seal. > > If not, got to find the reason, and retry. Is the drain cap off? Unsealed > box? loose orifice in box? Cracked corrigated vent pipes ( a good > possibility)? > > Cracked vents are caused when removing and reinastalling the Dometic. > Especially the 182b. Very brittle pipes. When bent to much, they will crack > at a bend. If you have cracked vent pipes, remove the side grill and stick > your hand inside and feel for the crack. Never done it, but muffler cement > on the crack is the fix. >

-- Please send me your Vanagon/Westfalia links! http://vanagonlinks.googlepages.com/home

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. http://web.mac.com/tubaneil