Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:27:40 -0700
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Power mirror and lock maintenance?

About 4 days ago my power mirrors stopped working. (They were completely immobile and silent.) Last night my sliding door wouldn't lock automatically when I locked the driver's or passenger's side door. (When I locked the front doors, there was no sound or activity at all in the sliding door lock, but I could lock and unlock it with a key.) About 3 hours later, I went out to check the sliding door again, and it worked perfectly. Today I checked the mirrors, and they also worked, but it seems like the passenger's side mirror was stuck, and if I forced it, I was afraid the glass would break. Do I need to perform some sort of maintenance or oiling? I know nothing about the mechanics of either item, but I do have a Bentley, and would gladly perform any maintenance I'm capable of.

Another question - my rear door won't unlock with a key once I've power-locked the doors. If I want to open the back door, I have to go to one of the front doors and unlock it. Is that normal, or is there some sort of a trick to this?

After buying my Westy in mid April, I've only been driving it regularly for a month. Even after reading the user manual, I still don't understand some of the instrument panel (the multi-slider buttons on the heater or ventilation system, and the other knob that controls the rear window defroster and some kind of ventilation.) Last week while I was running the air conditioner, I seemed to feel warm air coming out from under the dashboard, so I probably had the heater on at the same time.

I havent tried out any of the camping equipment, yet, but will probably try it out after I find out about the instrument panel.

Thanks. Patti 90 Westy Automatic