Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:59:50 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Subject: Re: Control Arm Bushings (do I need to WELD?)

I'm doing the whole enchilada myself right now---all the bushings and lower ball joints. Unless you have a big honkin press, don't even think about doing this on your own. I know. I know... people have managed it in their garages with a big vise, an Autozone kit and a LOT of time and luck, but pressing out bushings and lower ball joints is a very hard and dirty job. Have a look at the lower control arm bushings and try to imagine what it will take to get a new bushing in there... a minor miracle of physics, that's what! I took all my stuff---upper and lower control arms and lower ball joints to a local machine shop---they did the whole thing for $150 and did it in a day. The amount of money you are saving by doing all the removal and install yourself easily qualifies you for a guilt-free trip to your local friendly machine shop. I like the idea of collecting new tools and doing it myself but not if I'm only going to do it once in the life of the van and use the tools one time. What's the point? The machine shop guy showed me the monster press and all the sleeves he uses---he had to make one up for my lower ball joints---and there is no way in h@ll that I was going to get even CLOSE to getting it done in under a week of spitting and cursing---and that would be after I collected all the different sleeves, etc that I would need. Life is too short... spend the money on your local machine shop and use the free time you gained to futz around on your Dometic... = )