Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:31:02 -0400
From:         Pascal Giasson <pascal.giasson@GNB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Sliding window refurbish
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Here is how I replaced my plastic sliding window guides: I modified my aluminium window slides (the ones glued to the bottom of the sliding windows) In order to modify the aluminium slides to make them properly accept the newer vanagon plastic guides you first need to remove the sliding window. To do this you have to remove the window latch (I used a flat screwdriver bit to remove the latch's retaining screw located on the bottom of the latch. I first loosened the screw with the flat screwdriver bit and a small adjustable wrench, then I finished removing the screw with the screwdriver bit with my fingers). I then removed the rubber window channel so that I could lift the sliding window up and then supposedly out. This is where it got a little tricky for me, because it would not come out like it was supposed to. I had to use some of those big carpenters clamps that can be used to spread thing apart and spread the aluminium window frame apart just a little bit so that the window would come out (I also had to use a wide scraper in the middle of the window (between the window glass and the aluminium frame) to ease the window out with very little force). This whole process only took about 5 minutes on the second window (once I had figured out how to get the window out). Once I had the window out, I looked at the new plastic window guided and figured out how the aluminium window slide had to be modified for the new guides to lock into place. Pretty hard to describe this part but it will be evident once you look at the aluminium slide and the new plastic guide. Here is my attempt to describe what I did: I lined up the new plastic guide on the aluminium slide and marked the little ridge inside the aluminium slide where the plastic guide should lock into it (you can see the locking part on the new plastic guided). I then took my Dremel and took a little notch out of the ridge of the window slide for the guides to lock into it. I then had to shave off a little bit of the aluminium ridge from the notch that I made to the end of the slide so the guide would slide in properly. Hope this explaines what I did, but it sound confusing...but once you get going you will see what needs to be done...and my description will likely make more sense. Please feel free to pmail if you have any other questions.

Pascal '84 Westy