Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:35:05 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      A  successful tour in the 84/inline 4  (long)

Thurs. past, we left home with two road bikes and two Chesapeake dogs for a long weekend "road trip" in the turd brown semi camper. I'd been planning to race with the BC Master's in the Slocan Valley north of Spokane, Wa. over the weekend but the event was cancelled due to a big wildfire..So since we had everything arranged to leave town anyhow, we decided to see some of our 'own neighborhood' Our plan, which worked perfectly, was to see some of the mountains we've only 'passed through' in eastern Oregon and to combine the sightseeing with training rides on the bikes and some fly fishing if the opportunity arose. We carried the two bikes and 6 wheels on a Yakima rack mounted to the tailgait of the van. Very handy and yet out of the slipstream and no overhead clearance issues. The downside is the tailgate is pretty heavy with that load, so it takes some ooomph to open it and a good prop to hold it up..But, no messing around with release pins and swinging a rack out of the way of the door or to check the oil.. My van has no poptop (by choice) and an abbreviated interior. I have no rear overhead or hanging closet and just a fold down bed (weekender) without any chair swivels (yet)..One double power point for recharging cell phones and bike computers. A very dark limo tint to the windows, with curtains on bungee cords that we use at night, only. Bungee on top, magnets to pull in the bottoms.. I have an aux. battery under the driver seat that runs a couple of lights in the rear, and the power point..also an AC inverter that we don't use much. The rest of the standard Westie cabs and equipment, except the propane, which I have a large tanks under the sink, with good venting to the outside. I run only on propane and it stays lit while driving..A tank last about 3 weeks. Heading east up I-84 we caught the normal Columbia Gorge westerly tailwind and boogied at about 75 to Pendleton, where we climbed about 3000' into the Blue Mountains, still on the interstate. The little "mouse motor" 1.8 liter inline four (92 rabbit 8-valve) kept us moving at about 65mph up that substantial long grade. We found a camp site after dark on the Grand Ronde river..Me enjoying the maneuverability of the van as we searched around some small dirt tracks. The following day we circled the Blue Mountain range, spending the night about halfway around, and riding (on the bikes) a couple nice climbs. Hot weather, yet the van ran right below the left side line to the left of the red blinker. Never got within a needle width of crossing into the heated up zone, no matter how steep, tight or slow we drove..and we did some 15% grades (by my Garmin GPS bike computer) Then over to the Hell's Canyon area and the Walowa Mountains for some more biking and sightseeing. Again, the maneuverability and ground clearance, the size and the extra low 5 speed diesel tranny made finding a camp sight away from the crowds very easy.. I didn't think to get the start odo reading, but we went through 4 tanks of fuel in 3 days..figuring 300 miles per tank..(we actually got about 23mpg) that's about 1200 trouble free and very enjoyable miles. Used about 2/3rds a qt of oil and almost a full tank of water (for the passengers). Climbed almost 12,000' on the bike, too...but no fly fishing... Don Hanson A couple of comments: I like having the open space of not too many cabinets..With our lifestyle, we seem to have lots of gear. I like just tossing it in in duffels or sport bags, so you can put it out when we are inside to sleep or shelter.. I've wanted a couple of spotlights like I had on my old splittie bus. Those would have been very handy this trip, to check for campsites and to light some of our off road excursion routes.. I would love a table on the outside of the slider. I plan one hanging on some rudder fittings from WEST Marine..When camping, it seems invariably my SO is doing something IN the slider opening at all times...mainly because it is flat and clean for putting down things..A shelf or table that could be mounted on the slider may help with that..