Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:06:41 -0700
From:         Steven Smith <kewsps@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front wheel bearings

Thanks to all, for all the help on this one. I'm on it! . . . again.

I've been looking at my maintenance record and can't figure out what I did when!! It appears that the current problem was due to the spindle nut being a little loose, and talking up the slack stopped the clunking . . . for the moment anyway, so I will have time to get new bearings etc. and get It done right soon.

If someone knows of a better bearing manufacturer out there, or ones to avoid . . . would be appreciated.

One other question. The Bentley says to "peen" the nut once it is properly tightened. I have been using a screwdriver to bend the lip of the nut into the notch on the spindle. I this right? or does "peening" mean something else? I did finally get new nuts, been reused a few times I'm afraid.

Thanks again Steven

Bill Bowman <bill@bnnta.com> wrote: Steven and all,

About two weeks ago while on a road trip to visit VW friends in Wisconsin and attend the Vintage Races at Road America (AWESOME fun!) I discovered a bearing noise. My friends up there run a small but talented VW repair business near Watertown, WI called Connies repair. Connie, my buddies Dad and the main man there was a factory trained dealership mechanic for many years and has run his own shop now for decades. He got my '87 Westy up on the rack and located the offending bearing and side in this low-tech way:

In a quiet shop with both hands he'd sping the tire as fast as he could and then with one had he'd reach around and rest his fingers on the spindle assembly and feel for the faintest vibration. Same thing on the other side, and then he had me try it. Worked like a charm! It was faint, but you could feel a slight difference in the spindles and the one with a slight vibration was the one with the deteriorating bearing. It wasn't even the one I suspected because of noise! So without his tip, I would have chosen to work on the wrong one! They had the rotor off in no time and sure enough, the outer bearing was starting to go bad. They replaced and packed both bearings and a new grease seal and in no time I was roadworthy again for the trip home to St. Louis. That is until one of my 12 or so year old Michelin MXL tires had a colossal tread separation and almost blow-out at speed on the Interstate. And that is what started my recent/current thread on searching for new tires. I need them mounted up in time for our upcoming BNNTA camping event! I gotta sleep in that Camper over labor Day weekend!

I hope Connie's diagnosis tip on bearings helps you out Steven.

Bill Bowman http://www.bnnta.com Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #22

--------------------------------- Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.