Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:47:32 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for old Porsche rim in the Seattle area
Comments: To: Chris Lisica <wavanagon@gmail.com>

On 8/13/07, Chris Lisica <wavanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > > Yeah, that would probably help. I just measured them and they are 16" > across. > > As far as the composition of the metal goes, if I had to say, I'd say they > are cast aluminum. Although I wouldn't know the difference between cast or > forged. > > As for the model/year, I have no idea, they came w/ the van when I bought > it. > > As for the crack, I have no idea how it happened, I don't recall hitting > anything that hard that would crack a rim. Whether they belong on my van > or > not, I'm not a tire expert. They drive straight, the van handles like a > sports car and I like the way they look. I would change them if only I > couldn't find a replacement. > > Thanks to all for the responses. > > Chris

Chris,

The easiest way to confirm the wheel size is by looking at the tire size. A 15 inch tire, for example, would not fit a 16 inch wheel. I know you said you measured it but looks like a 15" wheel to me.

As others have mentioned, these came in various widths. Not only that, they also came in various offsets. The only way to be 100% sure of what yo have is by taking off the wheel and looking over the markings on the backside. This is also a good way to confirm if it's a real Fuchs wheel or a copy. The most common copy was made my Maxwheel. There is another I've seen made my AIR.

Both replica wheels are cast aluminum. The originals are forged or pressure cast. The main difference is most of the air bubbles in the metal are forced out during the forging process. When you looking at the bare surface of the wheels, the cast copies will look more porous vs. the cast ones. The backsides of the wheels also look smoother in the forged version. Again this can be confirmed by looking at the markings in back of the wheels.

I have used both cast and forged wheels in various vehicles including a 2wd 1987 Vanagon GL w/o any durability problems. I've logged over 150K in one set over a period of 6 years. However, my driving in on relatively smooth California freeways and highways. You can see what these look like here:

http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/vanagoncafewheelspage1.html

It's the pic on the top left hand side. Those are 15 X 8" replicas.

How are these wheels attached to your van? Did they use adapters? The added adapters will affect what offset will fit.

Lastly, be forewarned that real Fuchs are getting very expensive. It's not unusual to see very early 15" "deep six" wheels to sell for $250+ each. You can find some deals on newer versions for $100 or less. Some of the "exotic" offsets which fit unusual models can run upwards of $500 each used. Forget about getting new ones. Some will cost you as much as a 2wd Vanagon.

Cheers,

BenT www.vanagoncafe.com