Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:51:35 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: To compress or to remove wrist pin - A Poll
Comments: To: Bob Donalds <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>

I have always cleaned the wrist pin and its hole in the piston with naphtha (Ronsonol lighter fluid). Then, with a light oiling, the pin slides in and out slick as a whistle. I've never needed to deburr.

Mike

Bob Donalds wrote: > removing the pins means you will need to pess fit the pin back into the > piston as you try to reinstall the piston > tuff do so. have the piston pin honed to make it a slip fit and then one > less hassel as it goes back together > Bob > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Mike Collum" <collum@VERIZON.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 2:22 PM > Subject: Re: To compress or to remove wrist pin - A Poll > > >> Removing the pistons and cylinders as a unit is preferable. In fact, I >> once had a cylinder that wouldn't separate from the head no matter what >> I tried (until I got it off the engine) and I opted to remove the piston >> so I could reinstall it in the cylinder, and use a proper ring >> compressor, THEN put the piston/cylinder back in as a unit. >> >> Removing them as a unit also lessens the possibility of breaking one or >> more rings. Why open Pandora's box any further than it already is? >> >> Mike >> >> >> >> Brendan Slevin wrote: >>> Alright, I have gotten a lot of wonderful help on my broken stud >>> problem. >>> I >>> am now ready for the next step and need to know opinions on: >>> >>> A. Removing cylinders and pistons as one by removing the wrist pins >>> or; >>> B. Removing the cylinders, leaving the pistons and trying to >>> finagle >>> a >>> band ring compressor on to reinstall the cylinders. >>> >>> I have good info on how to do both, I just want to know what you think! >>> >>> Thanks! >>> >>> >>> Brendan >>> I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. -T.S. Eliot >>> >