Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:18:14 -0700
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone have experience w/ caliper rebuild kits?

It's not too hard to rebuild calipers. A little messy and time consuming, but not hard. If you are in a hurry, why not just replace the entire caliper? New ones are $130 from busdepot.com

Hardest part in rebuilding is removing the piston, you may need compressed air to help. see http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_caliper_rebuild/911_caliper_rebuild.htm for tips. (single piston caliper on your 88 is much easier to remove than dual piston designs)

Step #7 (pedal holder) is a great idea, it will help your master cylinder from emptying.

If you don't have compressed air, try this: remove the caliper from the wheel and remove brake pads but leave the hydraulic line connected. Place rags around the caliper where the piston will "land" when it comes out. Then wrap the whole thing in an old towel (to catch fluid). Have a helper press the brake pedal and the piston will pop out (keep fingers well away). After you remove the flexible brake line, plug it with a golf tee or similar so it won't leak. Leave cardboard on the ground so you don't pollute the street with brake fluid.

Use something like a scotch brite pad to clean the piston and cylinder. You'll go through a can of brake parts cleaner to clean everything, use a very fine needle/corner of razor blade to remove the inner piston seal. (be careful not to score the cylinder).

-paul