Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:45:16 +0000
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic in 100F ambient?
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

That is great news. I know I have read on many sites a claim that the best you could hope for was a 20-30 degree differential. Glad to hear that this is urban legend!

Sounds like the key is exhausting the hot air trapped in the van.

Todd

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET> > No, this is false. I have camped in 90-100 degrees for days on end > without problem with my stock RM182A Westy fridge. I do have an external > vent from behind the fridge to the outside, using a small fan to get > that hot air out of the vehicle. The fins freeze up solid after a > couple of days > > I also have an old travel trailer permanently ensconced above a beach in > Baja with it's original 70s Dometic. It gets down to the high 30s in the > fridge when it is in the 80s outside. The freezer temp is always below > ZERO, often pegging my thermometer at minus 15 degrees F. I do not set > the fridge as cold as it will go since I don't want all my food frozen. > > Mark > > Todd Last wrote: > > > Isn't it a fact of the design of the Dometic (or any ammonia apsorption > fridge) that you are not going to get any better than 20-30 degrees lower than > the ambient temperature? > > > > > > Todd > > '88 Westy > > > > > > -------------- Original message ---------------------- > > From: Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM> > > > >>After this last weekend's positive experience with a coleman xtreme > >>cooler in 100F+ temperatures, I'm wondering if there's even any > >>reason trying to fix up the Dometic. > >> > >>First question -- has anyone ever had a working dometic provide > >>adequate cooling in 100F+ temperatures? > >> > >>Looking at the coleman cooler, I notice that it has almost 2" of foam > >>insulation. Looking at the dometic, it seems to have very little > >>insulation, and it also seems to be self-defeating as it dumps so > >>much waste heat under the cabinet, so it's basically bathing itself > >>in hear. > >> > >>Second question -- is re-insulating the dometic with some sort of > >>modern insulator a possibility? > >> > >>Third question -- does venting the waste heat out of the van make a > >>serious difference? The dometic has a fan already, but all it seems > >>to do is stir up the air behind the cabinet. Would a fan that vents > >>the air outside of the van actually be better? > > > >