Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:52:27 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inside a GEX 2.0L engine, not pretty. LVC

> BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> wrote: Simple, new customers. I'm sure there are new people > buying all kinds of old > VW's every day. If they buy a Vanagon and do a web search for rebuilt > Vanagon motors they'll find GEX for $1,999 and Boston Bob and others for > about $700 more. Without doing any research other than price checking it's > easy for GEX to get the sale.

You get what you paid. If GEX is $700 less that tells that there is less you will be getting.

If you want a really good rebuilt wasserbox engine, rebuilt with one that has a solid block to begin with. Buy new OE heads and a set of new Cofap liner to put on the block. Lap the valves before installing. Carefully assemble everything and do a leak down test (the mistake I made) before final assemly back to the van. Give it 3000 miles of patient break-in. You will have a top notch wasserbox engine for about $1200 for parts plus labor.

All wasserboxer engines under $150k miles that I took apart seemed all have reusable block. The heads were mostly rebuildable. But getting quality rebuild for them is a huge question. New OE heads is a sure strategy if you want a long lasting rebuild. Cofap liners are cheap and decent. Always replace.

I was surprised to find that my 83 westy with newly rebuilt 1.9 got 23 MPG during a 96 miles HWY trip with 4.1 gallon of gas last Sunday. This 96 miles was from San Jose to Oakdale (both in California). Half of the trip was driving against headwind and there were two long hills to climb. My cruising speed was around 65 MPH, 50 MPH when climbing hills and 70 MPH going the other way around.

Why buy GEX? It's not a good strategy buying a GEX.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC