Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:22:08 -0400
From:         Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Update: Is my Compressor Broken?

Forgot to add another issue: Even with the 2 cans of freeze-12 in there, I still need to jumper the compressor to the alternator to get the clutch to engage.

This is all in a 83.5 1.9l camper by the way. -Wes

Wesley Pegden wrote: > Thanks very much for the help! > > Of course, I have more problems now... > > Before I started adding, there was no pressure (totally empty). Just > now jumped the compressor and now got 2 12oz cans of freeze-12 in there, > along with one of the cans of oil. My new question: although it doesn't > sound to bad at idle speed, as I increase the engine speed, at some > point (maybe 1500 rpms or so?) the compressor becomes really loud... > like something is knocking around in there in a way that it shouldn't > be. So, I guess my compressor is broke? > > Next question: > I DO actually have another compressor. The '84 passenger van we haven't > sold yet has a compressor in it. It's A/C doesn't work because of > electrical issues that I didn't want to bother to fix. That system held > it's refrigerant. A year or so ago, I had someone evacuate the r-12 so > that I'd be able to remove the compressor. So it should be easy to do a > swap now, I guess. > > So, is there anything should know about swapping compressors? Should I > be changing any seals, lubricating, etc., the old compressor I'm going > to put in there? > > Thanks very much for any help, guys. > Wes > > > > > > > Larry Alofs wrote: > >> When the clutch is engaged the whole end of the pulley turns, not just >> the groove where the belt is. >> If the pressure is low enough, the safety switch disables the >> compressor to prevent it from running without the proper oil >> circulation. Do you have a real gage set so that you can tell what >> the pressures are? Usually you can get enough gas to go in at the low >> pressure side to get the system to boot up. If not, you may be able >> to use a jumper apply 12V directly to the compressor temporarily. Try >> to be sure that you don't have a problem with your valve connection >> that is stopping the gas from going in. >> >> Larry A. >> >> >> On 8/15/07, *Wesley Pegden* <wes@cs.uchicago.edu >> <mailto:wes@cs.uchicago.edu>> wrote: >> >> My A/C blows warm. I checked and it's empty. I got a freeze-12 >> kit to >> try filling it up, but it won't take a charge (not even one can). I >> think the problem is that the clutch isn't engaging? My questions >> are: >> how do I tell if it's engaging? What do I have to do to force the >> clutch >> to engage? Etc. >> >> Thanks very much, >> Wes >> >> This is on an 83.5 1.9l westy >> >> >> > >