Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:56:24 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      No, simpler IS better..Opinion No Van content.

Responding from digest to the post about the Toyotas and power stuff in vehicles...

It is my opinion that the more complex a system is, the more component- failure possibilities there are. While I have owned very very dependable Japanese autos and bikes, some quite complex, and I agree that they are usually quite trouble free, if it is not IN the vehicle to begin with, it can't fail. If you want warm fingers, wear gloves. If you want an easy turning Van, get one with a big steering wheel, or go to the gym and build up some muscles. If you need power locks and alarms, you better be willing to deal with electronics. If you can't be bothered to check the coolant level or the oil level, don't be too surprised if you blow up a motor due to a faulty idiot light or sensor or a broken wire..It happens. I spent too time trying to make my fancy cars work around broken power stuff. Especially funny (though not to the dog) was the time I closed my driver's door and pushed the remote lock with the passenger window open for the dog to have some air..Of course, the automatic car locker didn't know that the dog needed air, nor was there any provision for that in the program, so the window rose and trapped his nose.. Spent some time trying to work it so I could leave a window down for that dog in that car, but the computer would not allow the car to operate with a faulty locking system...I guess if you own a Porsche, you are supposed to flat bed it over to the dealer for every glitch....Except even Porsche Factory Dealers refused to work on the 928...! "Too complicated".. That particular vehicle was the worst possible example of stupid overcomplication..There were over 40 relays and 80 fuses in the panel. The workshop manual? (s) 14 Volumes..4 full books about the electrical systems alone...What a nightmare..except that very rarely, when and if it all happened to be working at once..it was a blast to drive.. Power mirrors, power antenna..just kinda silly, In My Humble Opinion..Check the mirrors and pull up the antenna before you get going..Or, again..back to the shop to repair the system when it fails?...Nah AC? A luxurious system and if I lived in a muggy climate, I might be tempted to have it in my vehicles..But again, I've owned a few AC-equipped vehicles and they all break the AC somehow sometime..My Ford pickup has a penchant for compressors at about $300 each....I now use the windows. Dunno, I guess if I were very wealthy and could own a back-up vehicle for each of mine while it was off being repaired, I might like complex cars. Or if I bought a new one every time something went wrong.. But I'd rather keep it as simple as I can..If I get hot, I roll down the windows..If I get really hot, I pour some water on my head, or get the heck out of the car till it cools off some..If I get cold, I put on a jacket..never had a broken jacket, or a busted glove..I look at stuff before I take off on a drive. For me, that is easier than fixing broken systems.. Don Hanson