Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:00:25 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tips or Hints for Replacing Power Steering Racks?

What Mike said... that and the fact that if your rack has been leaking like mine was, it'll be a filthy job. You also want to get the new tie rod ends in about the same place as the old ones so lay the new rack on the floor next to the old ones and just get them relatively close for the guy who does your alignment. He'll be happy about that.

I just did all the bushings in my Syncro front end so I took out the sway bar and radius rod but I can't tell you if you'll have to take yours out to get the rack in and out, but if you do it would be worth

replacing those bushings since they're easy to do.

Also be sure to put 100 miles or so on the front end if you start replacing stuff before you get it aligned.

Jeff / 87 Syncaru Westy